Monday, February 14, 2011

The Simple Things in Life

I think holidays have become such a marketing hype. I mean, we are not even out of July and the Christmas decor is bursting forth from the aisles in Hobby Lobby and Wal-Mart (don't get me wrong, I do love me some Christmas spirit, just not in mid-summer).

This year, Chase and I decided for Valentine's Day that we were doing "homemade" gifts. This was a neat experience. I decided that I was going to make him this LOVELY red-velvet, heart-shaped cake. It was a great plan, until I started trying to put the plan into action. Let's just say that the beautiful heart shaped cake ended up being a single layer (yes, it was supposed to be 3), round cake. It was rough, very rough. I did not inherit all of my mother's cake baking/decorating abilities. The 2nd layer of cake fell out of the pan into my sink. Unfortunately, I was too disgruntled to take pictures. However, Chase loved it (and if he didn't love it, he was great at convincing me that he did love it).

He made me a "Coupon Book." It was thoughtful, and sweet, and homemade. And I loved it. Plus I won't be cleaning for a while! : ) He made me two copies of the coupons, so I have double coupons. It's great!

I am glad that we simplified this holiday. We loved our gifts (despite the imperfections) and they meant so much more. Just remember that great gifts don't have to cost a great deal of money, and they will still be very heart-felt.

Happy Valentine's Day!

4 comments:

  1. Yay for homemade gifts! Jim and I occasionally do big stuff for V-day (this year is one of those odd years) but normally we just do a special dinner or an under $20 type gift. For our anniversary we often go camping or take a little trip somewhere. It's way more fun to spend time with each other than just spend money on stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Thanks for the heart shaped cake idea. I happen to have a heart shaped pan hiding somewhere, so I think I'm going to make a V-day cake today! Not homemade, though. From a mix. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, it's got to turn out better than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow you are ambitious! Personally I hate Valentines day. It seems so contrived. Plus it's totally depressing when you don't have an actual Valentine and all around you everyone is getting flowers. However, Clay has made it his mission to have me enjoy the holiday. He does a good job. We have done the homemade gift thing and it's always nice. Unfortunately now we are just so busy, he got a skillsaw and I got earrings. Go Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete