Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The lack of title pretty much sums up this blog. I don't have anything exciting going on. I don't think ya'll want to hear about the bugs that are dying around my house because Chase's grandpa has sprayed (God bless him). I'm surviving my first week with Chase in Davis. I'm becoming sleep deprvied, no thanks to our alarm system. I guess I'll tell you that story....

Here's a little background- Chase and I live in a quaint, nice neighborhood in Oklahoma City. It's pretty quiet, except around rushhour (thanks to Chesapeake). Well, there are rent houses all down our street, which makes for new neighbors frequently. Well, we got some questionable ones next door and the sweetest old lady across the street. We call her Cricket, no clue what her real name is (should probably put that on my list to find out). So back to last night... My alarm system starts going off. It is so loud and annoying and it woke me up.

Oh! By alarm system, I mean Max and Tater. Max is a chocolate lab (mix) and Tater is a blue heeler. Tater gets down from the bed and starts barking and growling at our back door (which is in our bedroom, happy day!). Max barks and growls from the comfort of my bed. Well, I of course freak out. Dogs have good intuitions, so I knew they had a reason to bark. I'm hoping and praying it's an animal, preferrably a small one. I find my glasses, quietly in case someone is lurking outside my window. I look to see if there are any shadows moving across the deck, coast looks clear. I call Chase. I just wanted him on the phone while I was about to open the door to the "hairy, scary monster." After all, I needed a witness. Why not have one 2 hours away that cis pretty much helpless, and doesn't remember talking to me last night. I did feel better having him on the phone though.

I opened the door to let the guard dogs out. They just go running into the darkness. I lock the door, with them running in the back yard at 1 am, run to the bathroom and return. I let them back in, fight with Tater to get him to come back in and re-lock the door. I say good night to Chase (again) and curl back up in my bed. Keep in mind, I said my prayers before bedtime and I started saying them all over. I'm sure I sounded like a little kid who thought a monster was under their bed. I know God understands and appreciates me coming to him in my time of need.

Well I wake up again at 3 due to Tater's whining! Yes. It's like having a newborn. He gets up every couple of hours and whines (which is the most horrific sound a dog can make, especially him). So I decide to let him out and leave him. After all, I have an outside alarm system now along with the one that's curled up in my bed.

Friday night, I plan on crashing, in my husband's arms and sleeping so heavy! Until then, I should probably get back to work (or day dream about taking a nap).... I hope everyone else slept better than I did.

3 comments:

  1. YEAH for guard dogs and husbands that are just a phone call away. Bruce laughs at me because I told him that when he is out of town, I prop a chair under the door knob to the downstairs, just in case the monster in the basement gets hungry and wants a little midnight snack!! And I'm old enough to know better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chase's grandparents gave us these little stands that go under the door knob and you can't budge the door from the other side. They're comforting! (same concept as a chair, I bet)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same thing happened to me when clay and I were first married. Only Baxter returned with a partially dead rabbit as a "gift". He couldn't understand why I was freaking out at him. Needless to say there was Jo more sleep that night!

    ReplyDelete